Relationships are a necessary part of healthy living, but there is no such thing as a perfect relationship. Relationships, from business to romances, have the potential to enrich and add to our enjoyment of life. However, these same relationships can cause discomfort and sometimes harm. Take a few minutes to learn more about how to develop healthy relationships.
What makes a healthy relationship?
A healthy relationship is when two people develop a connection based on:
- Mutual respect
- Separate identities
- Good communication
- A sense of playfulness/fondness
Even though each relationship is most likely a combination of both healthy and unhealthy characteristics, relationships need to be maintained and healthy relationships take work. This applies to all relationships; work relationships, friendships, family, and romantic relationships.
What are signs of a healthy relationship?
A healthy relationship should bring more happiness than stress into your life. Every relationship will have stress at times, but you want to prevent prolonged mental stress on either member of the relationship. Below are some characteristic that maybe present in your healthy relationships.
While in a healthy relationship you:
- Take care of yourself and have good self-esteem independent of your relationship
- Maintain and respect each other’s individuality
- Maintain relationships with friends and family
- Have activities apart from one another
- Are able to express yourselves to one another without fear of consequences
- Are able to feel secure and comfortable
- Allow and encourage other relationships
- Take interest in one another’s activities
- Do not worry about violence in the relationship
- Trust each other and be honest with each other
- Have the option of privacy
- Have respect for sexual activity and boundaries
- Accept influence. Relationships are give and take; allowing your partner to influence you is important; this can be especially difficult for some men.
- Resolve conflict fairly: Fighting is part of every healthy relationships, the difference is how the conflict is handled.
Maintaining the unity and love of a relationship can be difficult over time. However, focusing on or building a better spiritual union can be very rewarding in honoring your commitment to the relationship.
Today: Compliment your spouse. If not married, then compliment the person you care about the most. Please don’t text it 🙂